What would life be like without a computer? It’s tough to envision but it wasn’t that long ago that people didn’t have them. Now a number of us carry multiple computers, i.e. laptops, e-readers, and smartphones.
George Dyson, a science historian, asks how we went from having no computers to having so many in such a small amount of time period in his book, Turing’s Cathedral.
Dyson, the son of scientist Freeman Dyson, has spent much of his life at the Princeton Institute for Advanced Studies. The institute was home to several of the world’s most powerful scientific minds while the first digital computer was being created.
After you’ve read Turing’s Cathedral, you’ll discover just how much chance went into developing the machine that brought about the computers we currently take for granted. The personalities at the Princeton Institute didn’t often mesh well, but somehow they managed to produce the world’s first digital computer. This machine was assembled and run from an otherwise nondescript building in New Jersey.
Genius or not, people are still people, and when working closely on the same project there are sure to be rivalries and disagreements that arise. Turing’s Cathedral lays these matters open, showing the humanity of the scientist that created the first computer.It was not just the personal disputes that needed to be put aside to make this project productive; there were also ethical issues involved. The work that went into the creation of the computer walked hand in hand with the U.S. nuclear weapons project.
You may think that a history of the computer would be a dull read. You might think that it’d be loaded with impossible-to-understand lingo. Luckily, Dyson’s history of the computer makes for an interesting read, and you do not need an advanced degree to comprehend it. Anybody who uses a computer – and that is an awful lot of people today – should purchase a copy of Turing’s Cathedral. You could be astonished at what you learn.
Stay Secure While Using Public Wi-Fi – Tips from Xact IT Solutions
About Xact IT Solutions
Xact IT Solutions provides information technology solutions to businesses, which are based on thorough analysis and backed by expert knowledge and rich experience. Our range of services includes virtual CIO, IT Consulting, IT Project Management, Network Setup and Management, Workstation Setup and Management, Application Development, and Web Site Management & Marketing.
- 05/15/2013 You might be surprised which mobile device is hacked the most
- 05/10/2013 Phone passcodes are far from hacker-proof
- 05/10/2013 Time to buy a computer monitor? Do your research
- 05/05/2013 Follow these tips to keep your eyes healthy at the office
- 05/02/2013 Sharing screens on a tablet no longer a hassle
- 04/27/2013 Protecting your privacy is easier than you think
- 04/24/2013 Are you mourning the end of Google Reader?
- 04/17/2013 Why you need to learn two-factor authentication
- 04/11/2013 Bigger tax breaks coming to small businesses that invest in new tech
- 04/09/2013 You can protect your business from a cyber attack
- Upbeat BlackBerry Launches New Q5 Qwerty Smartphone http://t.co/CM9BLjCL3u, 2 hours ago
- Everyone Must Work Together for a Better Internet http://t.co/lw8KLmz1XK, 3 hours ago
- Strathclyde University Makes Planes, Nuclear Reactors and Spacecraft Bug Free http://t.co/7oYKW4jSrF, 18 hours ago
- After Tweeting From Space Station, Astronauts Return Home http://t.co/sOvpOtWwFp, 19 hours ago
- 7 Steps to Securing Java http://t.co/y2IT9HHaHm, 23 hours ago